Friday, January 18, 2008

My Invitation!!!!!

Well, I woke up from a nap before going to work today, and Wham! Sitting in my little mailbox was a big packet from the Peace Corps. I opened it up and took a few breaths before opening the packet, as I will now know where I am going after my almost 12 month application process.





When I opened the packet, I was pleasantly surprised; I am headed to Nicaragua my friends! Land of lakes and volcanoes!!! I thought I would add a map of where Nicaragua is, for those of you who failed 6th grade geography.


The program that I will be working in is the TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) teacher trainer. From what I understand, I will be working with English teachers by introducing new teaching methodologies, as well as helping them better their English. I will also be working in high schools teaching English to students. I have experience teaching students while living in Spain last year, and it was a blast!! But I have never taught teachers before, so this may be somewhat of a challenge.
I thought it would be all downhill from here, but I was totally wrong!! Now I must rewrite my aspiration statement, my résumé, and file for a government passport. Well, enough blogging for now, I have Peace Corps paperwork to do!!








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, John,

Congratulations on your invitation! It must feel incredible to have finally achieved this goal after such a long process. I, too, may be headed to Nicaragua with the TEFL group in May. I was medically cleared early this month, and am excitedly awaiting an invite.

Does the packet indicate where staging will take place? I know I should be patient and wait to be surprised, but I can't stand it any longer.

¡Felicidades de nuevo!

Zoé

Anonymous said...

Congratulations John - Good luck on your journey.I know you will do a great job.

Just remember.... Make your country PROUD!!!

Your secret Admirer

John Cunningham said...

Zoé, thats very exciting you may be going to Nicaragua as well. From what I can remember, the packet doesnt say where the staging is, but Im certain that it is in Washington D.C. as that is where the previous staging took place.

Anonymous said...

John,

We already miss you at work! I know how much you miss UHG! It's going to be sad having our 10:30 sneak out breaks without you. I really hope you have a great experience and take care! You are going to do a fantastic job! If you are ever in need of new cologne let me know I have endless supplies of Buttus Juicus :-)

Loves ya!

Fahn

Anonymous said...

Awww Fahn, you DO LOVE ME!!!!