Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cockroach Hunting

Forgive me readers for I have sinned. It has been 9 days since my last blog entry. Whats that you say? Only 1 hail Mary..... SWEET. Hail Mary full of grace, ermm something something something something something amen. AAnnnndd DONE!! Lets see whats new since the last time we've talked. Umm I had a great time visiting Patrick in San Jorge, and got a lot of pointers for when I too am a volunteer, like which rum is the best quality, and which women of the night are clean and which ones are not. I can't wait to put these pointers to good use, THANKS PATRICK!!






Lets see, we have a new youth group, as our last group decided they were to cool for school, and didn't want to hang out with us. Our group went from all males 18 and up, to all females aged 15, and then one boy. We asked them what kind of project they wanted to do with us, and they decided that they wanted to make a pinata, and then have a fiesta and break it. So we spent 2 days making the pinata from scratch. Instead of using a balloon and using paper-mache, they use a clay pot and then wrap paper around it. Either way it served its purpose, and we are ALMOST done with the pinata.





We also had our second language interview, and it went pretty good, everyone in Dolores moved up to the advanced level, therefore we do not need classes any more which is awesome! I think I'll miss the classes a little bit, because they were fun going from house to house and having classes in a spare room or in the patios of the houses, but then on the other had I will not miss the homework that they gave us to do. We had our last class on Thursday, so we had a little party, with some cake and coke. a cola. It was Fun Ivania, but our time has ended. She was so excited she did a little dance of liberation.





The other day when I came home from class, my host mom was pulling piles of wood away from the wall outside and using a broom to get all of the cockroaches out and she was sweeping them into the back yard. 10 feet above us on the roof of the house next to us, were about 30 hungry birds licking their beaks (wait do birds even have tongues? Either way), waiting for us to move so they could swoop down and take advantage of the free buffet we had just served up for them. We may have made a discovery though, while looking for more cockroaches we found this one type of cockroach that burrows itself in the ground. Being as smart as she is, Isolina (host mom) went and boiled a pot of water and then poured it over the ground. Seconds later a family of 20 of the newly discovered cockroaches comes climbing out of the ground, and Isolina screamed. So to kick her while she was down (because thats how I roll) I tickled her back with my fingers and yelled ¡NO SE MUEVAS HAY UNA CUCARACHA EN SU ESPALDA! (don't move, theres a cockroach on your back) LOL and she yelled like a little ninny girl. Why do I get off on that kind of stuff? God, Im a total F****er. I think with that stunt, I have surely secured my spot in the fiery pits of hell.

On Friday, we had yet another charla (chat) and they had a site fair, as we are almost dine with training (YAY). During the fair, they had Volunteers from all around the country come and talk to us about where we could be going to live. After listening to all of the spots, I decided that I like to go to Matagalpa, Leon, or Masaya. Now where they send me is a different story, but at least I let them know where I would like to go. They said there are many things that are taken into consideration before they place us, like language ability, personality and so forth. So in other words... I'm screwed.

Today I spent a good majority of the afternoon fixing my hosts sister's roof on her house. We would slide the large pieces of aluminum over and then bring them down and cut them using a machete and a hammer. We were almost done and then.... HERE COMES THE RAIN AGAIN!! So we are outside playing with the metal roof when its raining like a hooker, with thunder and lighting. Lets test out the old theory of playing with metal during a lightening storm... yeah we're smart!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom says- John, I see you treat your host mom as mean as you treat me. At least you are consistent in your behavior. You could have saved some of the cockroaches for when you get short on protein. I wish you good luck on your choice of placement cities. Good job on ending your Spanish lessons, I see your tuition wasn't a total waste. Just kidding. I am very proud of you. It's nice to see pictures of you, keep including them in your blogs. Love Mom

Kayla said...

johnny boy, omg i'm sooo jealous of you. cockroaches AND playing in lightning storms?? gosh...some people have it all... i'm glad you're doing well. you should gimme a call when you can or shoot me an email and i'll skype ur culo when i can. ☺ muah!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the testing etc. Good to hear that the interview went okay. Who knows maybe you will get one of the cities that you picked. Its not like everyone is John Cunningham. Your the original and they will put you somewhere good. Unless they realize you are you, and they sent you into the jungle to live in the trees. I also agree with your mom, keep putting the pics on here. Helps with reading the blog. Gives me a def idea of whats going on. Hope all is well and good luck on Friday!