Friday, June 27, 2008

Man, I feel like a woman

OK so I don't REALLY feel like a woman. Yesterday we were asked to be judges for an English singing/dance competition for one of the local high schools. They were able to sing an English song instead of taking a final English test, which is an awesome idea; less work for the teacher and more fun for the students. All of the groups did a great job, but in the end, a group that “sang” and danced to “I feel like a woman” by Shania Twain took home the gold. OK well they didn't take anything home, other than the fact they they now get to participate in the regional competition. After the competition, we thought it would be a great idea to talk to the English teacher and tell her that if they would like, we would work with them on the pronunciation of the song. The teacher asked them, and they liked the idea. So pretty much what I am trying to say is that with our help, they will win.... hand down. It was a lot of fun listening to Ryan and Elizabeth singing, “Men's shirts, short skirts, oh oh oh oh” well mostly Ryan, but he was totally into it, which makes me wonder about him... Does he really like Shania? Oh well we all have our own tastes I guess ;) Below are a few pictures of the singing competition and our beautiful piñata that we made with our youth group. If you would like the rest, send a S.A.S.E with a small donation of 500 buck to my mom, and she will send them out to you.

Yesterday was Día de San Juan or for those of you non-Spanish speakers out there, “Day of Saint John”. THATS ME!! minus the saint, but thats neither here nor there, ANYWAYS I came home from going to Jinotepe, my host mom handed me a gift bag, and inside was an agenda, and a rag. Its funny because I was looking to buy an agenda for when I get to my site and start doing things. And the rag for when I go to my new site if it's too hot, I can wipe the sweat from my brow. I think they were great gifts. I was thinking the other day that it will be very difficult to leave here when I go to my site. Firstly because I like this family a lot, shes a great cook, and they invite me to almost everything they do. And Secondly, I'm going to miss hanging out with the other Trainees. I'm still wondering if I should call her mom, or continue calling her by her first name. I called my host mom in Spain “mom” and she replied with, “My name is Maria”. But I think I might just throw it out there and see how she reacts. Of course, she will never replace my real mom (because my really love my real mom and not to mention she has access to my bank account, and I wouldn't want to upset her) LOVE YOU MOM!

We find out on Friday where they are going to send us for the remainder of our 2 years here in Nicaragua, and I can't wait to find out! I have my preferences, but I guess where ever they send me will be fine! ( I have to write that, the Peace Corps may read this =) Ryan and I walked to Jinotepe today to price out beds, fridges, and table top gas stoves for when we make the move. It was really funny because we both walked into the store together and said, “Estamos buscando una cama matrimonial” or We are looking for a matrimonial bed (thats how they say double bed). We failed to mention that we were BOTH looking for a bed, not one to share. It was funny, I wonder what the sales people were thinking. It keeps them thinking I guess. The beds range anywhere from C$3,000 cords- C$ 4,500 cords ($156.25- $234.00) A fridge (small one) will be around C$6,000 cords ($312.50) and a table top stove is about C$450 cords ($23.50). I hear our moving in allowance will be around C$4,000 so we will have to come up with other methods to earn money. Whats that you ask? Why yes, my birthday IS coming up very soon (July 22nd) now that you know, theres no excuse for no gift. And I have ways of tracking who has visited this site. So once again, my mother will be taking donations for this special ONCE A YEAR occasion. So there is no confusion, my name is spelled John Cunningham for all of you check writers out there (hint hint, nudge nudge. wink wink)

Well thats all for now, I will be back Friday, or Saturday to let you all know where I will be living.
P.S. Happy Birthday Paul. Hope your feeling better Linda. Glad I got out of UHG when I had the chance. Hope you have fun on your around the country excursion Tessa and Anna. Hi Karla at UHG (and everyone else) Kate, I'm glad you added me on facebook! How was Ukraine? If you answer Ukrainey... so help me god! Hi Whitney (I tried calling you the other day, but I think you were working) HI D☺RI!! and Peen, you are NOT the baby's father! And for the guy who asked me what time it was the other day, and I didn't understand until after I walked past, it was 12:30.

P.S.S I recently changed my UWEC email password and forgot what it was... so email me at cunninjj@gmail.com

GOODBYE EVERYONE :::waves goodbye, and tugs on right ear::::::

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom says- John, I know your birthday is coming up, any ideas what you want for your present? I tried to get an idea from your blogs but you never leave us any clues. Darn, oh well, I will probably just go to the $1 store.

Masaya, great place for volcano tours, and markets. CONGRATS!!! The pictures you mentioned in todays blog never got added on here, hopefully they will be in face book. Where are Elizabeth, Ryan and Lara going? I hope they will be close enough so you can still spend time with them.

Oh yes, I drained all your money out of your accts. to go gambling. Hate to tell you that you didn't win. Do you still love now??? Keep up the good blogging and look forward to your next one. Again, congrats on Masaya. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

I agree with your ma.What do you want for your birthday. Your one expensive friend! Let me tell ya. So just kidding. Congrats on your city. Totally awesome! Wont be bored when we come to see you. Or will we? Yeah and where are all the pics you said you would put on here, and on a site? No worries, cause you RULE! Well as much as a sped can!

Kayla said...

hey juanito, i hope you got assigned to go where you wanted. i'm sure you're gonna do great wherever you end up. i'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out!

Anonymous said...

Hi John! Love the blog. :) So... Masaya it is! Nice. Your mom and I had fun gambling. Thanks for the donation! If I don't chat with you before the special July 22nd date, Happy B-Day!!! I'll send that $2,000 check soon. :) Take care and keep up with the blogging... very fun to read! Love, Your favorite cousin, Kristi :)

Anonymous said...

hey john! i finally found your blog. i hope to check it more. i am tired now. miss ya!
:)nikki