Friday, July 25, 2008

I'm officially a Volunteer!

As of noon today, Peace Corps Nicaragua added 38 new faces to the family, and I am one of those people. It was a great swearing in today!! It started with a despedida (going away party) with our families. My host mom and my nephew came and it was great to see them again. Apparently I forgot a shirt at the house so she ironed it and got it back to me...what a great mom! The ambassador to Nicaragua was also there and he gave a nice speech. I guess today was his last day of service, and will be moving to Miami to work on another project. Now I am sitting at the hotel next to the pool watching Scott pull a coconut off a tree and cut it open.... have fun on the island. We are going our for dinner right now, so I will come back later and write more but just wanted to say a few words before I lose the chance to use internet. Talk to you in a minute.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle John- Congratulations !! I hope you had a good going away party today. I miss you, and hope you bring me a present when you get home. Love your niece Hannah

Anonymous said...

John- Congratulations on your big day, the time went so fast. Make sure you keep in touch with your host mom, she has been very good to you. It was so nice of her to come to the ceremony. Have fun this weekend and enjoy the time you have left with Elizabeth, Ryan and Lara. Tell them all good luck in their new cities. Remember to stay friendly with the Chief of Police in Masaya, you never know when you might need her help. Good luck on your next new adventure and do a good job teaching. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

John- Make your country PROUD. Congratulations. ???

Anonymous said...

Congrats John. Good job, guess they didn't find out about all the people you slaughtered. So you must be safe. Just Kidding! Seriously congratulations though, and hope your new city is ready for you.