Friday, January 16, 2009

Parents Vacation

Well my parents are finally here, and their trip in Nicaragua began with a bang! Well more like a loud boom, and a long scratching noise. You see, I didn't understand why the taxi driver was driving so slow to go to the airport, but after we picked my parents up I realized why. To preface the story, one must have a visual idea of this car. First, a small green Toyota Atoz which appeared to have suffered through 3 world wars, a 2 nuclear holocausts, and a rabid partridge from a pear tree. The inside looks like it was left unlocked in Detroit with a steal-everything-inside-of-me sign. There was a tape player, mind you, but the face had been torn off, and only 2 pieces of tetanus bearing metal was visible. I will go out on a limb here and say that in about 5 years the floor boards will go out, and we'll have a genuine “Flinstone” vehicle. Anyhow back to the story... Every time he turned the steering wheel, a loud noise was made from under the car, and we went over a speed bump (which was also followed by a loud scratching noise) We turned onto the highway, we drove no more than 100 yards when all of a sudden we heard a loud BOOM and then the car began to swerve. Once we pulled over we got out of the car to figure out what the hell had happened. We were soon scratching our heads asking ourselves how all 4 lug nuts were able to come off allowing the tire to completely fall off of the axle. Needless to say we waited for our taxi driver's friend to come and pick us up to bring us back to Masaya. In the meantime a whole bunch of organized chaotic driving was occurring on the side of the vehicle...Big fiasco I say. We decided that it would be in everyone's safety that my mom got out of the car, just in case someone wasn't paying attention while driving (just in case, of course) and shit ended the back of the car. We did however have a lot of cultural experiences during our wait; we saw a wonderful display of Nicaraguan fireworks, haphazardly flying every which way; we also met a good portion of the sweatshop workers walking home after their shift ended. (They make 40 bucks a month by the way) To boot, we even got to watch the sun set while standing on the side of the highway. Very romantical!There's more, oh yes my friends there's more. So once our taxi drivers friend quickly drove to pick us up (an hour later (Masaya is 15 minutes away)) we transferred the luggage into the new taxi. While waiting in the taxi, our new and old taxi drivers took a lug nut off of each of the NEW taxi's wheels, and put them on the OLD taxi so they could drive home. I am told that a car can really be drivable with three lug nuts on at normal speeds, but did the new taxi driver drive slow and cautiously? NAY! He was driving as is he were driving to hit up Walmart's “After Thanksgiving day” sale. As soon as we took off, the car was not only shaking left and right, but his shocks needed some work as well, so we were bouncing up and down. Wonderful taxi ride I say, just wonderful!
But the best part of the night...CHRISTMAS PRESENTS! We decided that instead of having presents sent through the mail, that they would just fill a suitcase with stuff and pay the 25 bucks for an extra suitcase and save on the shipping. So I opened my gifts and it was wonderful! I got clothing, a new laptop (which works AWESOME and thanks to everyone involved!!), a lot of randoms and enough dulces to make the insulin of each and every worker at the Diabetes Center of America rise a good 100 points. I'm excited to share the candy with the neighborhood kids, because I'm sure they've never had good old Farm and Fleet angel food candy. BOO YEAH! Well thats it for day 1, and I'll keep you all abreast on the upcoming days of the trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John- I am sooo glad you enjoyed opening your Christmas presents. Too bad Dad was passed out in the hammock. You did make quite a haul in the chocolate dept.

I thank you for the enjoyable trip from the airport. How much extra did you have to pay for the entertainment? I can't believe you hired people to send up fireworks just for me. Keepup the good blogs. Mom