Saturday, May 17, 2008

Life in Nicaragua

Hey there everyone, I just thought I would give everyone a little update on how things are going here in Nicaragua. I like my host family, they are great, its just a mom and a dad, and their son lives nextdoor. Its super hot here, and sometimes unbearable. Umm lets see, I was asked the other night if I wanted to do an activity by my mom so i said wure why not. Well after a 10 minute walk and a 10 minute truck ride, I found meself in the front row of an evangelical church service. I couldnt listen anymore, so I told my host mom I would wait outside because it was too hot for me, and I thought I was going to pass out. Then the next night, she asked me if I wanted to go and talk to children to practise my spanish. so of course i said yes, and found myself in the back yard of some mans house praying once again with a group of evangelicals. lol. they must really want to save me.

Since we have arrived, there has been a strike of all transportation (taxis and buses) and a few trucks have been burned in the streets and many many tires have been burned in protest of high gas prices. Last night, the strike ended, as they had got what they wanted... I hope its over for good!!

This is my first weekend to do what I want, so I think Im going to go visit a few friends in Santa Teresa, a little city a few Kilometers from here. Well I will update a little more when I have a chance, but wanted to let everyone know that I am doing fine.

Well thats it for now.... ADIOS

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the strike is over. Hopefully it stays that way. Sorry to hear about the church thing, even though the situation was funny. Have a good real first weekend off, and have fun with your friends.

Mom said...

John- I'm glad that things are going ok for you. You are lucky to have a nice host family. Be especially nice to your host mom since she does the cooking. Also remember us mom's know how to get even. I bet you are thankful for an indoor toilet and running water. I bet you prayed for them. See, prayer works!

You are fortunate to have other volunteers in your town and close by. You will all need to help each other out and will develop a long lasting friendship. Work hard but also take time for some fun. We miss you and love you. Keep up on the blog so we all know how things are going for you. Mom

Michael said...

well on the brightside your still alive. i was talking with Trisha and we thought about sending you a gun, or a tazer or something. Or with all the Evangelists running around a tee shirt that says "gay and athiest" lol. Goodluck and have fun:D

Tricia said...

John Boy there is no savin' you! Hope things are going better now. I am extremely lonely at work. Talking with Chad isn't the same as our little chats! Take care and I hope you're still not itchy. It should go away with medicine!